Kragen O’Reilly NHRA Winternationals
Johnson confidently looks ahead to next event
Almost immediately following Johnson's run, rain once again began falling on Auto Club Raceway forcing postponement of the remainder of the event until Monday.
"A 57-degree racetrack along with the humidity and vapor pressure, the water in the air, it was too cold to get these cars to hook up," Johnson said. "It just spun instantly and went right to the moon. David Beckley, who ran ahead of us, had the same issue, so we detuned it a little bit and it wasn't enough.
"We've gone down racetracks at this temperature before, but not at this altitude. It's 1100 feet out there and we should easily be going 6.55 – 6.56 (seconds), but the track could not handle that kind of horsepower with the setup we had."
Today's temporary setback only makes the 17-season Pro Stock veteran more determined than ever to rally at the series' next event in two weeks in
"This just fires me up," Johnson said. "We're going on the warpath now to get us some wins. I think this ACDelco Chevrolet is going to be really fast here shortly. After talking with Greg (
Return to Team Reports Archive
Return to the Home Page