|The "Show Off Your NHRA Nitro Gene” Video Contest Rules
- ELIGIBILITY: The "Show Off Your NHRA Nitro Gene Video Contest ("Contest”) is open to adults who are at least 18 years or older as of the Start Date of the Contest ("Contestants”). Contest is open to U.S. citizens and current legal resident aliens of the U.S., the District of Columbia and U.S. military bases abroad. Contest is void in Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, all other U.S. territories and possessions, and wherever else restricted or prohibited by law. The Contest is sponsored by The National Hot Rod Association, 2035 Financial Way, Glendora, CA 91741 ("Sponsor”). Employees, officers, directors, agents, representatives of Sponsor, all NHRA professional racers and race team members, the legal, promotion and advertising agencies of any aforementioned entity, and their immediate family members (defined as spouse, mother, father, sisters, brothers, sons, daughters, uncles, aunts, nephews, nieces, grandparents and in-laws, regardless of where they live) and those living in their household (whether or not related), and each person or entity connected with the production or administration of the Contest, and each parent company, affiliate, subsidiary, agent and representative of any aforementioned entity are not eligible. This Contest is subject to all applicable federal, state and local laws.
The Contest Submission Period begins on May 10, 2012, at 12:01 AM Pacific Standard Time ("PST”), and ends on July 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST (the "Contest Submission Period”). ALL ENTRIES MUST BE SUBMITTED DURING THE CONTEST SUBMISSION PERIOD. By participating, Contestants agree to be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the judges and/or Sponsor, which are binding and final on matters relating to this Contest.
Can you convincingly tell us why you’ve got the "nitro gene”? Your video can be as fun, creative, humorous or as serious as you like within the Submission Guidelines outlined below.
- CREATE YOUR VIDEO: Create your own unique 30 to 60 second video ("Video” or "Submission”) according to the Submission Guidelines section contained in these rules ("Submission Guidelines”). Your Submission expression forms include, but are not limited to narrative, faux documentary, montage, experimental, commercial, animated or new media format and may contain interactive content.
- SUBMIT YOUR VIDEO: Once you have created your masterpiece within the Submission Guidelines below, you can upload it in one of the following ways, using the instructions contained in the CONTEST TAB:
You must use YouTube or a video uploading site like it to make your entry into our contest. You must post the link on the entry form to enter and it will load from there.
- QuickTime .MOV
- Windows .AVI
- .MPG Files
We specifically recommend the MPEG4 (Divx, Xvid) format at 640x480 resolution with MP3 audio, but using this format will not increase your chances of winning the contest.
Please make sure you receive an UPLOAD confirmation via the Facebook app once the upload of your video is complete. If you do not receive this notification, your video was not uploaded successfully and you have not been entered. If you have any problems, please email email@example.com.
All contact information provided must be current, accurate and valid. Submissions must be received no later than July 15, 2012 at 11:59 PM PST according to Sponsor’s time. No other methods of delivery will be accepted. All entries received by the end of the Submission Period that are complete and otherwise qualified will be eligible to win ("Qualified Submissions”). Sponsor reserves the right to disqualify any Contestant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Contest or violating these Official Rules. All submitted entry forms become the sole property of Sponsor and will not be acknowledged or returned. Sponsor is not responsible for incomplete, late, lost, delayed, damaged, misdirected, incomplete, void, corrupted, garbled, illegible, or unintelligible submissions and those Submissions are void and will not be accepted; nor is Sponsor responsible for any problems, bugs or malfunctions Contestants may encounter when seeking to enter their Submissions.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES: Tell us your story in a narrative, faux documentary, montage, experimental, commercial, animated, or new media format in a way that conveys how or why you’ve got the "nitro gene”. There are some legal limits on what you can do (see below):
Sponsor reserves the right to exclude any Submission that it believes doesn't meet the above criteria, at its sole discretion.
JUDGING: Judging will be completed in three (3) rounds. All entries will be prescreened to ensure the entries have correctly met the Submission Guidelines and meet with Sponsor’s general standards and practices prior to any judging. ("Qualified Submissions”).
- Please, do not use your video broadcast to launch personal attacks on anyone or any discernible product.
- No broadcast may depict a harmful or illegal activity or substance, or offensive subject matter as determined in Sponsor’s sole discretion.
- No broadcast shall portray The National Hot Rod Association in a negative light.
- Submissions must be appropriate for a broad, family audience since the winning Submission may be broadcast on the web or telecast.
- Submissions should not feature any trademarks (including logos).
- No Submission may depict any nudity, animal cruelty, harmful or illegal activity or substances, or offensive, obscene subject matter as determined in our sole discretion.
- Submissions must be original works of authorship, created by the person who submits the entry. Contestants may not copy or otherwise plagiarize the Submission from any source, nor may the video or photograph include third-party copyrighted material, artwork, or movie snippets, without the copyright holder’s permission. By entering, you warrant that your Submission does not infringe any third party’s rights, and that you have obtained any necessary permissions from all relevant third parties to submit the Submission. Any images used in the video Submission must be an original work of authorship under U.S. Copyright Law.
- You may not be, nor may you use in your Submission parties who: 1) are represented under contract (e.g., by a talent agent or manager) that would limit or impair our ability to show the Submission in any media form; 2) have an acting or modeling contract that would make their appearance in the Submission a violation of any third party rights; 3) are under a merchandising agreement; or 4) are under any other contractual relationship, including but not limited to guild and/or union memberships, that may prohibit them from participating fully in this promotion, or from allowing us to use the Submission online and in television media.
- Contestant must hold all rights to the entire Submission. Contestant must secure - and finalists will be required to submit – a written release from any actors and/or any other participant featured in the video and/or photograph to use their name and likeness under the terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Any actors or images contained in any Submission must be properly licensed, and evidence of such may be requested by Sponsor at any time during or after the Contest Submission Period. Contestant agrees to indemnify and defend Sponsor against any and all claims from any third party for any use by Sponsor of the Submissions.
Screening Round: On or around August 19, 2012 ("Screening Selection”), Qualified Submissions will be reviewed and scored by a panel of qualified judges, according to the following criteria, on a 100-point scale:
- Visual quality/production value (25 points)
- Creativity/originality (25 points)
- Relevancy; Effectively communicates topic (25 points)
- Passion/enthusiasm (25 points)
Online Voting Round:
Up to sixteen (16) Qualified Submissions with the highest score will be selected as semi-finalists to move to the second round of judging ("Semi-Finalists”) and will be posted online on or around July 23, 2012 for viewing and voting by the public. The Semi-Finalist Videos will be posted at: https://www.facebook.com/NHRA/app_338790416156984. Only one vote per natural person per video per day and all voters must have a Facebook account. Registration to the site may be required to submit a vote; registration is free. Before public posting, Sponsor reserves the right to edit the Finalist Video, for formatting or other reasonable purpose, and may embed its logo or other trademarks in the Video.
Final Judging Round:
On or about August 20, 2012 the top eight (8) Qualified Submissions with the most votes will be selected as Finalists. A panel of qualified judges will select the potential winner from the Finalists’ Submissions according to the following criteria:
- Overall impact (40 points);
- Clarity (30 points)
- Enthusiasm (30 points)
The top scoring Contestant will be deemed the potential Grand Prize winner ("Selected Contestant”).
In the event of a tie during qualified judging, the entries will be rescored. In the event of a tie during online voting, the tying entries will be re-judged by panel of qualified judges and a winner determined.
At any time before, during or after the Contest Period, Sponsor may, in its discretion, choose to post or distribute one or more Submissions, their creator’s name and profile information, online (including Facebook pages, Twitter feeds, YouTube channels and third-party websites) for promotional and entertainment purposes only. Posting of said Submission(s) will not mean that said Submissions are eligible to win or are a Finalist or Selected Contestant. Contestants understand that users of these sites may share, comment on (including negatively) and re-post their Submissions. Any requests by Contestants to have a Submission removed from consideration will be accommodated to the extent practicable. Sponsor is not responsible for third party re-posting of Submissions.
Selected Contestant will be notified by phone or e-mail on or about August 27, 2012 and will be required to respond (as directed) to notification within forty-eight (48) hours of attempted notification. The failure to respond timely to the notification may result in forfeiture of the Prizes; and, in such case, Sponsor may choose the next highest scoring entry from among the remaining eligible entries. Finalists also may be sent an affidavit of eligibility / liability / publicity release ("Release”). Unless restricted by law, each Selected Contestant will be required to complete and return the Release within forty-eight (48) hours of the date notice is sent.
LICENSE: As a condition of receiving any prize, Contestant hereby provides a One Hundred Eighty (180) day exclusive irrevocable worldwide license to Sponsor after which time, Sponsor shall retain a perpetual non-exclusive license to use the submitted video in any and all media throughout the world, in perpetuity, for any purpose whatsoever, without any additional compensation, the term of which shall be the entire life of the copyright. Should any Contestant be unwilling or otherwise unable to enter into license, or provide permissions and or releases or otherwise cannot accept or receive the prize for any reason, Contestant with the next highest score will be chosen from the remaining entries until one who is able to meet all requirements can be selected. All potential prize winners must provide Sponsor with all signatures on required paperwork and return all documents in a timely manner as required pursuant to these Official Rules in order to be eligible to receive the prize. Contestants may not sell, assign or transfer any of their rights in their Submissions under these Official Rules.
CONTESTANTS WILL NOT BE SPECIFICALLY PAID FOR THEIR SUBMISSIONS or for granting Sponsor any of these rights.
While Sponsor will seek to post video Submissions in the form as provided at the time of entry, all Contestants agree that due to technical limitations, videos may be altered from their original form and that Sponsor reserves the right to re-shoot, edit or modify the Submission in its sole discretion, including replacing any voiceover, soundtrack or music or adding its logo or other trademarks. Sponsor may post videos in any order or sequence, with or without commentary, and may select the excerpt of video to serve as a thumbnail in its sole discretion.
PRIZE: One Grand Prize: If eligible under these Official Rules, one (1) Grand Prize Selected Contestant will receive two (2) full-event credentials to four (4) 2013 NHRA National Events of their choosing and may have the winning Submission video aired on ESPN2. In the event that the Selected Contestant cannot redeem the Grand Prize as provided herein for any reason, Selected Contestant will forfeit his or her Prize. The Selected Contestant may be required to sign additional releases for the video to be aired on television and Sponsor reserves the right to edit or reshoot the Submission for practical purposes. Sponsor is not obligated to show the video on any platform, and there is no retail value for airing the video. No substitution prize is available in the event Sponsor chooses not to air the video. Total approximate retail value of the Grand Prize is US $500.
For all prizes, all federal, state and local taxes and other expenses in connection with the prize are the sole responsibility of the Selected Contestant. Selected Contestant is solely responsible for any other unspecified expenses related to prize. All activities related to the prize, are at the Selected Contestant’s own risk and subject to whatever restrictions are imposed by the entities that govern activities. Selected Contestant is not entitled to any surplus between actual retail value of prize and stated ARV and any difference between stated ARV and actual value of the prize will not be awarded. No substitution, transfer, or cash redemption of prize, provided however that Sponsor reserves the right to substitute a prize with another prize of equal or greater value should the advertised prize become unavailable for any reason. In the event of noncompliance with the foregoing requirements or if prize notification is returned as undeliverable, prize will be forfeited and, at Sponsor’s discretion, an alternate Selected Contestant will be selected. Prizes will be delivered by U.S. Mail or other carrier (i.e., FEDEX, UPS), within Sponsor’s sole discretion, to the address provided by the Contestant. Sponsor is not responsible for lost, misdirected or undelivered Prizes.
CONDITIONS: Contest is subject to these Official Rules. By participating, Contestants agree: (i) to be bound by these complete Official Rules and the decisions of Sponsor which shall be final and binding; and (ii) to waive any right to claim ambiguity in the Contest or these Official Rules, except where prohibited by law. By accepting a prize, Selected Contestant agrees to release Sponsor from any and all liability, loss or damage arising from or in connection with awarding, receipt and/or use or misuse of prize or participation in any prize-related activities. Sponsor shall not be liable for: (i) telephone system, telephone or computer hardware, software or other technical or computer malfunctions, lost connections, disconnections, delays or transmission errors; (ii) data corruption, theft, destruction, unauthorized access to or alteration of entry or other materials; (iii) any injuries, losses or damages of any kind, including death caused by the prize or resulting from acceptance, possession or use of a prize, or from participation in the Contest; or (iv) any printing, typographical, administrative or technological errors in any materials associated with the Contest. Sponsor disclaims any liability for damage to any computer system resulting from participating in, or accessing or downloading information in connection with this Contest. Sponsor reserves the right to cancel or suspend the Contest, in its sole discretion, should it receive fewer than 40 entries, or receive no entries that have a judged score above 60 points, or due to circumstances beyond its control, including natural disasters. In the event of cancellation of the Contest, each Contestant will receive coupon for $10 off a ticket to an NHRA national event. Submissions will not be returned and may be destroyed, but are still subject to the license contained herein granted to Sponsor. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning a prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest by cheating, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten, undermine or harass any other players or Sponsor representatives. Grand Prize winner may not redeem services for cash and may be subject to a background check before services will be granted. Grand Prize winner must abide by all guidelines set forth by Sponsor and/or ESPN2 or risk forfeiture of prize. The internal laws of the State of California will govern disputes regarding these Official Rules and/or this Contest.
Sponsor is not responsible and shall not be held liable, and your entry may be disqualified and may not be considered for any Prize, should your Submission be removed from any third-party video hosting site, such as YouTube, for any reason (including without limitation DMCA take-down), or should your Submission be unavailable for any reason during the Public Voting Period.
Sponsor reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, modify or suspend the Contest should a virus, bug, computer problem, unauthorized intervention or other causes beyond Sponsor’s control, corrupt the administration, security or proper play of the Contest. Sponsor may prohibit an entrant from participating in the Contest or winning prize if, in its sole discretion, it determines such entrant is attempting to undermine the legitimate operation of the Contest in any way by cheating, hacking, deception, or any other unfair playing practices of intending to annoy, abuse, threaten or harass any other players or Sponsor representatives. Use of automated entry devices or programs is prohibited. Any attempts to access the site, enter the Contest or increase votes or views via a bot script, device or brute-force attack will result in disqualification, including that IP address becoming ineligible for the entire Contest. CAUTION: ANY ATTEMPT TO DELIBERATELY DAMAGE OR UNDERMINE THE LEGITIMATE OPERATION OF THE CONTEST MAY BE IN VIOLATION OF CRIMINAL AND CIVIL LAWS AND WILL RESULT IN DISQUALIFICATION FROM PARTICIPATION IN THE CONTEST. SHOULD SUCH AN ATTEMPT BE MADE, SPONSOR RESERVES THE RIGHT TO SEEK REMEDIES AND DAMAGES (INCLUDING ATTORNEY FEES) TO THE FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW, INCLUDING CRIMINAL PROSECUTION.
PUBLICITY: Sponsor reserves the right to use the Submissions to the Contest for publicity purposes prior to, during, or after the Contest end date, in any media, and to use the name, likeness and hometown name of any Contestant, including all or part of their video, throughout the world, in perpetuity, without any compensation or prior review unless specifically prohibited by law. Taxes, if any, are the sole responsibility of Selected Contestant, and Contestants may be issued an IRS Form 1099 for the ARV of any awarded prize.
WAIVER OF JURY TRIAL: Except as prohibited by applicable law and as a condition of participating in this Contest, each Contestant hereby irrevocably and perpetually waives any right s/he may have to a trial by jury in respect of any litigation directly or indirectly arising out of, under or in connection with this contest, any document or agreement entered into in connection herewith, any prize available in connection herewith, and any of the transactions contemplated hereby or thereby.
OFFICIAL RULES and WINNERS LIST: For a copy of these Official Rules or of the winner(s), send your request by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Request must be received by August 30, 2012.
© 2012 The National Hot Rod Association. All rights reserved.
NHRA, 2035 Financial Way, Glendora CA 91741